If you’re looking to trim your stomach fat, pinch your waist, or otherwise enhance your body contour as we move into the new year, you’ve probably looked into cosmetic surgery. Two procedures that people are often confused about are tummy tuck and liposuction. It can be difficult to know which procedure you need, as on the surface they perform the same task of reducing fat in order to create a better body shape.
Here in NYC at New Look New Life, we offer both procedures. During your consultation, we will perform a thorough examination and listen carefully to your goals in order to recommend the best treatment plan for you. Call us today at 646-559-2854 to schedule your initial consultation.
Tummy Tuck: A Comprehensive Procedure to Address Fat, Skin, and Muscle
A tummy tuck is a much more comprehensive procedure than liposuction, and addresses 3 key areas:
- Excess fat: A tummy tuck is able to remove a significant amount of excess fat in the abdominal area.
- Sagging skin: Liposuction does not address loose, sagging skin, but a tummy tuck does. If you have a lot of hanging skin after pregnancy or massive weight loss, a tummy tuck might be a good choice for you.
- Loose abdominal muscles: Often, after pregnancy, the abdominal muscles become loose and separated. Unfortunately, no amount of exercise can repair the muscles after this has happened. During a tummy tuck, the muscles are stitched back together for a flatter stomach.
Tummy tucks are especially popular among post-pregnancy women who are finding it difficult to get back to their pre-baby body. However, anyone with significant amounts of fat, skin, and loose muscle in the abdomen can benefit from this procedure.
Since a tummy tuck is an extensive and complex procedure, the recovery time is longer than liposuction. You should expect to take at least a week off work, and make sure you have someone to help out around the house for the first few days.
Liposuction: Reduce Smaller Areas of Excess Fat
Liposuction is a minimally invasive procedure that usually requires only a few days of recovery time. It is not meant to reduce large amounts of excess fat; rather, it helps to reduce areas of fat that are resistant to diet and exercise.
You are probably a good candidate for liposuction if:
- You are at or near a stable, healthy weight
- You have good, elastic skin tone without a lot of sagging
- You want a better body contour but have realistic expectations
Liposuction can be used on a number of areas on the body, including the abdomen, flanks, thighs, chin, upper arms, back, and bra bulge. It is a great way to shape the body and drop a pants size or two, but it is not a weight loss procedure.
If you are significantly overweight or obese, you may require a more extensive treatment plan with multiple appointments in order to remove larger amounts of fat safely. Although we offer this option, we will also strongly suggest that you lead a healthier lifestyle with good nutrition and moderate amounts of exercise in order to maintain your results.
Schedule Your Body Contouring Consultation
If you are interested in tummy tuck or liposuction, don’t hesitate to contact New Look New Life today at 646-559-2854 to schedule your consultation. We have offices in Manhattan and Westchester to serve patients throughout the greater NYC area.