Breast Augmentation in New York City
The size and shape of your breasts are deeply interwoven with your body image and body confidence. While some women’s breasts develop naturally, other women never attain the breast volume needed to provide them with the womanly curves they desire. Breast augmentation is a breast enhancement surgery that increases the size and shape of the breasts with saline or silicone implants.
Why should I choose New Look New Life Cosmetic Surgical Arts?
New Look New Life Cosmetic Surgical Arts is dedicated to providing safe and beautiful results through customized cosmetic procedures. Our surgeons personalize your breast augmentation to you based on your desires and needs, and they are there for you throughout the process. From your pre-op appointment to your post-op appointment, you will always have access to your surgeon. This one-on-one care places New Look New Life Cosmetic Surgical Arts far above the rest.
What Are the Benefits of Breast Augmentation?
Breast augmentation is performed on women to:
- Create feminine curves
- Restore breast volume
- Improve breast symmetry
- Enhance body confidence
- Increase clothing options
Am I a Candidate for Breast Augmentation?
Women turn to breast augmentation to enhance small breasts or to restore breast volume after pregnancy or weight loss. Women who are considering breast augmentation should be in good overall health, have realistic expectations of their results, and not smoke. Candidates for saline implants must be at least 18 years old, and candidates for silicone implants must be at least 22. If you are over 35 or you have a family history of breast cancer, you may be asked to undergo a preliminary mammogram.
What Is Discussed During My Breast Augmentation Consultation?
Your consultation is essential to a successful breast augmentation since this surgery is so personalized and nuanced. During your consultation, your surgeon will:
- Discuss your goals for the procedure
- Take your measurements and photos
- Explain your implant and surgical options
- Recommend any combination procedures
- Develop a surgical plan
If you think you may be a candidate for breast augmentation New York, contact New Look New Life Surgical Arts by calling (646) 559-2854.
How Long Will a Breast Augmentation take?
Breast augmentation is performed under general anesthesia for your safety and comfort. While every patient and surgery is unique, breast augmentation usually takes an hour to an hour and a half to complete. Breast augmentation is an outpatient procedure, but you will need to have someone drive you home and stay with you for the first 24 to 48 hours of your recovery.
What Are My Breast Implant Options?
Breast implants have a durable silicone shell and are filled with saline or silicone gel.
- Silicone implants: These highly customizable and versatile implants are filled with a thick silicone gel that feels and looks like natural breast tissue.
- Silicone implants are thought to feel and appear more natural than saline
- The manufacturer prefills silicone implants; therefore, they sometimes require a larger incision
- We offer the highly cohesive Natrelle® breast implants and Mentor® implants for our breast augmentation patients
- Saline implants: These implants are filled with a sterile saline (saltwater) solution.
- Saline implants usually provide a more augmented look
- Saline implants are filled by your surgeon during the procedure, allowing for a smaller incision
Silicone implants are available in various shapes that will provide different aesthetic appearances.
- Round: Round implants are spherical and provide equal fullness to the top and bottom of the breast.
- Anatomical: Anatomical—or gummy bear—implants have a teardrop shape that is more akin to the shape of natural breast tissue. These implants are made of a thicker gel consistency that better holds its mold.
- Smooth: Smooth implants have a soft surface that allows the implant to rotate in the breast pocket. Smooth implants are only recommended for round implants.
- Textured: Textured implants have a rough surface that attaches to the breast tissue and prevents the implant from rotating in the breast pocket. This is recommended for shaped implants since rotation would cause aesthetic distortion.
Implant profile determines how your implant will project from your chest. Determination of your implant profile will be influenced by your desired aesthetics as well as your body frame.
- Low profile: Implants that have a broad base but provide little projection
- These are ideal for women with a broader chest wall
- Moderate profile: Implants with a narrower base and more projection
- These are ideal for women with average-width chest walls
- High profile: Implants with an even smaller base that provides even more projection
- These are ideal for women with small chest walls
- Ultra high profile: Implants with the most narrow base and projection
- These are ideal for very petite women
Where Will My Implants Be Placed?
Your implants will be placed either above or below the pectoral muscle.
- Submuscular: The implant will be placed under the pectoralis major muscle.
- Ideal for women with thin breast tissue
- Implants may look more natural
- The surgery and recovery may be longer
- This is the preferred method of your surgeons at New Look New Life Cosmetic Surgical Arts
- Subglandular: The implant is between the breast tissue and the chest muscle.
- Ideal for bodybuilders and weight lifters
- Implants may be more prone to rippling
- The surgery and recovery may be shorter
Where Will My Breast Augmentation Incisions Be Made?
Incisions to insert your breast implants will be made in one of the following locations.
- Inframammary: The inframammary fold is the crease beneath your breast, where the breast connects to the ribcage. An incision is made along this crease for the easy concealment of scarring.
- This is the preferred incision option, as it reduces the chances of post-operative infection and capsular contracture.
- Periareolar: The areola is the dark-pigmented skin that surrounds the nipple. A crescent-shaped incision is made in the upper portion of the areola, where the dark pigment will hide the resulting scar.
- Transaxillary: The incision is made in the armpit, and the implant is tunneled through. Although this incision option results in less post-operative scarring (as the scar is hidden in the armpit), it can be more difficult to place the implant and may not be recommended.
Should I Combine My Breast Augmentation With a Breast Lift?
Many women consider breast augmentation after childbirth to restore the volume lost when nursing. Unfortunately, many women who suffer post-pregnancy volume loss also experience premature breast ptosis (sagging). Breast lift surgery elevates sagging breasts by tightening the glandular tissues, repositioning the nipple-areola complex, and removing excess skin. Breast lift surgery can often be performed at the same time as breast augmentation for optimal results.
What Is Breast Augmentation With Fat Grafting?
Your surgeons at New Look New Life Cosmetic Surgical Arts offer fat grafting as an organic augmenting alternative to implants. Breast augmentation with fat transfer harvests unwanted body fat and transfers it to the breast. Fat is usually taken from the abdomen, hips, or thighs, allowing for full body contouring. This technique cannot increase the volume of the breasts as much as breast implants, but it comes without the risk of implant complications.
Breast Augmentation Video
What Are Your Concerns?
What Will My Breast Augmentation Recovery Be Like?
Your breasts may be wrapped in a compression garment/surgical bra that will ensure the implants heal in the correct place, reduce swelling, and promote blood circulation. You should take it easy for the first few days of your recovery, and you may need assistance to help with all day-to-day activities like cooking and cleaning. Most patients return to work within one week, but strenuous exercise—including pushing, pulling, or lifting anything over 10 pounds—must be limited for at least four to six weeks. Dr. Karlinsky-Bellini and Dr. Kim provide all of their patients with their cell phone numbers so that they can be reached at any time during your recovery.
Is Breast Augmentation Painful?
Breast augmentation creates bruising and swelling, which can be uncomfortable. You will be given a prescription for pain medication to alleviate any discomfort. Most patients choose to switch to over-the-counter pain medication after a few days. Most of the discomfort should resolve within one week.
Will My Breast Augmentation Leave Scars?
All surgical procedures result in scars, and breast augmentation is no different. Scars will develop at the incision sites, but these scars are easily concealable and will fade over time. To help minimize scar visibility, you should avoid underwire bras during the healing process (as the wire can irritate the incision), keep the incisions out of the sun, and apply scar cream or silicone strips.
What Does Breast Augmentation Cost in New York?
Your breast augmentation is personalized to you, and this customization—along with your surgeon’s skill and experience—will affect the total cost of your procedure. At New Look New Life Surgical Arts, our breast augmentation starts at $7,500, but this may vary significantly once your implant selection, anesthesia fees, facility fees, and pre-surgical tests are factored into the mix.
We offer financing options through CareCredit® to assist you in paying for your breast augmentation in New York.
What Are Some Frequently Asked Questions About Breast Augmentation?
How should I prepare for my breast augmentation?
Breast augmentation is performed under general anesthesia. Therefore, you will need to stop taking all blood-thinning medications—like aspirin, NSAIDs, or herbal supplements—before your operation. You will also be asked to stop smoking for at least two weeks before and after your breast augmentation. Following these recommendations will reduce your risk of complications during your surgery.
Can I have breast augmentation before I have children?
Breast augmentation will not affect your pregnancy or your children; however, many women experience breast changes during pregnancy that affect the overall quality of their breast enhancement results. Pregnancy after breast augmentation may necessitate a secondary breast procedure like a breast revision or a breast lift to restore a more attractive breast aesthetic.
Can I breastfeed after breast augmentation?
Most women experience no difficulty breastfeeding their child following breast augmentation. Traditionally, breast implants do not damage or interfere with the connection between the nipples and the milk ducts. If you are planning on having children following your breast augmentation and are interested in breastfeeding, let your surgeon know during your consultation.
What are the risks associated with breast augmentation?
Dr. Karlinsky-Bellini and Dr. Kim have over a decade’s worth of experience specializing in breast augmentation. While complications are not expected to occur after this procedure, breast augmentation is still invasive surgery, and complications are possible. Potential physical complications include:
- Negative reactions to the anesthesia
- Abnormal firmness
- Blood clots
- Prolonged wound healing
- Capsular contracture
- Implant rupture
- Implant displacement
Potential aesthetic complications include:
- Breast asymmetry
- Unfavorable scarring
What is capsular contracture, and how can I identify it?
Capsular contracture is a potential implant complication that develops when the scar tissue surrounding the implant begins to contract. This squeezing of the implant leads to both aesthetic distortion and physical discomfort. Capsular contracture requires the removal of the implant and scar tissue capsule; however, a new, healthy implant can be placed after. There is no way to prevent capsular contracture, but breast implant massages are thought to decrease your risk.
What should I do if I notice an aesthetic change in my breast?
Implants are long lasting, but they are not guaranteed to last a lifetime. Implant complications like capsular contracture, implant rupture, and implant displacement can occur at any time. If you notice breast asymmetry, lumps in the breasts, or changes in implant position, or if you develop any breast pain, see your surgeon right away. Breast revision may be necessary to correct implant-related complications.
Do breast implants increase my breast cancer risk?
No. Breast implants are not associated with breast cancer and do not increase your breast cancer risk in any way. Because it may be more challenging to perform self-breast exams, you must see your doctor for routine mammograms and MRIs. Mammograms can still be performed with breast implants, and breast implants will not be damaged during the procedure.
At New Look New Life, helping you achieve beautiful results with minimal time away from your busy life is our goal. Dr. Victoria Karlinsky-Bellini is a New York cosmetic surgeon whose eye for detail and careful attention to her patients showcases itself in the gorgeous and natural-looking results they are able to provide. To schedule your consultation with Dr. Karlinksy-Bellini give our office a call today at one of our two New York locations (Manhattan and Westchester) and get ready for a new, more confident you.