How to Maintain Your Tummy Tuck Results This Summer in New York City
Posted July 12, 2023 in Body Surgery
A tummy tuck, or abdominoplasty, offers unmatched improvement to your midsection. It is incredibly transformative for those who suffer from diastasis recti (separated abdominal muscles), stubborn pockets of fat from prior pregnancies, or even excess skin from weight fluctuations or rapid weight loss.
For those considering a tummy tuck, or even those who have already had one, it might seem like a miracle cure — but it’s not. While a tummy tuck eliminates fat and excess skin, you must maintain your results and improve upon the “new canvas” your surgeon has given you through diet and exercise.
Below, we will discuss the best ways to maintain your tummy tuck results in New York City. From healthy restaurants and meal plan services that give you the nutrients you need to workout classes and routines for every step of your recovery, we’ll help you maintain and enhance your abs, core, and lifestyle to enjoy long-lasting tummy tuck results.
Tummy Tuck Diet NYC
You probably already know that the best way to maintain a trim and toned figure is through diet and exercise. While you won’t be able to do high-impact exercise for quite a while following your surgery, you can (and should) start eating healthy, nutrient-dense meals as soon as possible.
Key foods and guidelines to help you maintain your slimmed midsection post-tummy tuck include:
- Fruits and vegetables, including leafy greens
- Lean meats like poultry and fish
- Other protein sources like legumes
- Healthy fats such as avocado and olive oil
- Whole grains such as brown rice, quinoa, or bulgur wheat
Additionally, you will want to avoid:
- Processed, fried, and greasy foods
- Excessive sugar and sodium
- Excessive red meat consumption
Immediately following surgery, feeding your body to induce healing and recovery is essential. Don’t jump into an intense diet — you need nutrient-dense foods and plenty of water!
Healthy Local Options in NYC
New Yorkers are busy — we get it. While recovering from tummy tuck surgery, you will have limited movement, so cooking will be challenging. Eating out and ordering in doesn’t have to be unhealthy, so we’ve compiled a list of healthy, nutrient-dense delivery and restaurant options that you can lean on no matter what stage of recovery you’re in.
- Provenance Meals is a NY local meal plan delivery service. You can curate your meals for your specific health goals, and all of their options are full of nutritious, clean ingredients. Additionally, no cooking is required. These meals are delivered ready to eat! Perfect for those early recovery days.
- Fresh N Lean is another meal prep delivery service with diet-conscious options such as Paleo, Whole 30, Vegan, Keto, and Protein +.
- For dining out options, 12 Chairs Cafe offers whole, healthy Israeli-inspired food. You’ll have no problem incorporating lean meats, whole grains, and healthy fats at this spot.
- Springbone and Little Beet Table are healthier NYC locales offering whole, clean food. Springbone incorporates its bone broth recipes to provide customers with dense nutrients and healing collagen, while Little Beet Table boasts a veggie-inspired menu. Both are perfect for surgery recovery and life-long health benefits.
Tummy Tuck Exercise NYC
Once you start feeling more like yourself following tummy tuck surgery, you may be ready to start on the crunches to hone your abs. But it’s important to take it slow — even if you feel better, your body is still doing some intense healing.
A general breakdown of the recovery period with the level of exercise intensity, if cleared by your cosmetic surgeon, include the following:
- Week One – Focus on rest and recovery. You might need assistance walking to and from bed.
- Week Two – You should be able to walk around for about 10 to 15 minutes daily, which will help increase circulation to avoid complications and increase your body’s healing process. Take it slow, listen to your body, and consult with your surgeon.
- Weeks Three and Four – You may start feeling like yourself again and can start returning to your daily routine.
- Weeks Four to Six – Most patients feel back to normal, so you may be able to increase the speed and length of your walking exercise. Be careful to avoid anything that strains your abdominal muscles.
- Weeks Six and Beyond – You can gradually increase your routine, focusing on cardio and aerobic activities. You should not engage in abdominal exercises until after at least 12 weeks.
Every patient is unique, so we’ve outlined a rough guideline here. Tummy tuck surgery is serious, so recovery will take time. Don’t rush it, and always check with your surgeon about what’s best for you and your recovery.
Exercise Options in NYC for Tummy Tuck Surgery
Below is a list of classes and exercises that you can engage in once you are fully recovered. Tummy tuck surgery deals with the midsection and abdominal muscles, so these options will focus on strengthening and toning your core for long-lasting tummy tuck results.
- When focusing on cardio and aerobic exercise, you may want to experiment with different workouts and classes in a low-stakes, low-impact environment. Shape Up NYC is a free program that offers classes in NY parks throughout the five boroughs.
- Yoga is a great option to gradually strengthen your core after recovery. A low-impact, soothing environment is great for increasing flexibility, regulating your heart rate, and improving overall mental and physical well-being.
- Once you are fully recovered (and we mean fully), cleared by your surgeon, and ready to take it up a notch, [solidcore] is an intense pilates-based class that hones in on core exercises that tear down and build muscle. This is not for the faint of heart: these workouts are high-intensity, low-impact, and get results. There are studios all over NYC, and they even have an app for at-home gym days.