Don’t Be Vein: Clearing Pesky Spider Veins with the Help of Asclera
Posted February 04, 2016 in Injectable Treatment
Having had varicose veins for so long, many individuals give up hope on having clear, vein-free legs. For many, varicose veins present more than just cosmetic issues, often causing one pain or discomfort. At New Look New Life, we are excited to offer a solution to a problem that commonly plagues many of our patients.
Understanding Why Varicose Veins Form
Veins are responsible for transporting blood from our organs and tissues back to the heart. Fighting gravity, veins face an uphill battle when moving blood from, say, your legs, back to the heart. To help, veins have valves that keep blood flowing upwards. When healthy and performing as they should, the valves properly push the blood upwards. A weakened valve, however, can allow blood to leak back down and collect in the vein—causing the vein to swell and become enlarged.
Causes of Varicose Veins
Relatively common, 15 to 25 percent of the adult population struggle with varicose veins. There are numerous factors that increase one’s chance of developing varicose veins. These include:
- Age: Similar as to the rest of your body, valves tire with age. By age 50, one out of every two people have varicose veins.
- Gender: 20 to 25 percent of women will have visible varicose veins while only 10 to 15 percent of men will.
- Hormonal Changes: Varicose veins often develop during puberty, pregnancy, and menopause.
- Family History: Varicose veins tend to run in the family. For those with varicose veins, around 50 percent also have a family member who has them too.
- Obesity: Adding excess stress, being obese places extra pressure on your veins.
- Lack of Movement: Sitting or standing in one stagnant position causes your veins to work harder to pump blood to your heart. This holds especially true for individuals of whom like to sit with their legs bent or who have a tendency to cross their legs.
Asclera: A Solution
For some, lifestyle changes such as weight loss, a healthy diet, or committing to an exercise routine can help. Others find relief in wearing compression hose. However, for many, small changes such as these do not prove effective.
At New Look New Life, we are proud to perform Asclera. As an injectable treatment, Asclera provides a minimally invasive sclerotherapy treatment. Finally! An effective treatment for those struggling with unsightly or painful varicose veins.
Love Your Legs
While New York City may be cold right now, you will soon want to bare your legs. Winter provides the opportune time to start your sclerotherapy treatment. You will find that compression stockings are warm and are much more pleasant to wear in the winter than on a balmy summer’s day. Similarly, winter layers make it easier to hide any resulting bruising and discoloration.
Take advantage of the winter season, schedule a consultation with one of New Look New Life’s expert plastic surgeons.